Hummus


I am a meat eater. Almost any non-weird meat is fair game for me. I need some sort of critter to supply me with the protein I desire. So vegetarian foods normally leave me wanting in one way or another. Hummus is something I always considered a vegetarian food and avoided it at all costs.

The hummus avoidance came about through my long held belief that only sandal wearing, long hair, bearded, hemp weaving, placard carrying, non employed, liberal whiner-without-a-cause types ate hummus and if I was to eat it I would become one of "them".


However I tried a little bit of hummus one day and I liked it. I mean - really, really liked it. After eating it for quite a long time now, I am confident when I say that I did not turn into one of "them" after all. However I will not eat granola, because I know that once I do it will be sandal wearing on a protest march against the world for me...

I had always purchased hummus and then I decided to take up the challenge of making it. How difficult could it be I asked myself. So self said to self, "Self, give it a try. Your mama didn't raise no genius fer sure, but it looks simple enough that even you could do it!"

"Thank you self! I did try it and it was wonderful and how dare you talk to me like I'm the village idiot!"


               Hummus (ḥummuṣ bi ṭaḥīna) or Chick Peas with Tahini

1 -19 oz can chick peas (garbanzo beans), liquid reserved and set aside

2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
3 Tbsp lemon juice

3 Tbsp tahini

2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
black pepper to taste


Place the chick peas, tahini, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic, salt and ¼ cup of the reserved liquid in a food processor or blender.

Pulse or blend until it is a smooth creamy paste.  If not smooth enough add a bit more of the reserved liquid.

Add pepper and more salt if you wish and pulse or blend to mix well. Taste, and add more of the lemon juice if you think it needs it as well. Pulse a few seconds again.

Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the top.

Garnish with some chick peas or parsley.

Serve with baked pita crisps, crackers, fresh pitas or just sit down at the bowl with a spoon like I do…

Snowy Palms Resort